Barking Spider Tavern

Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Barking Spider Tavern Offers A Final Farewell

The Barking Spider Tavern, a longtime destination for musicians and music lovers, will close their doors after their 30-year anniversary party on Sunday, September 18, 2016. The celebration starts at 2pm.

Owner Bruce Madorsky and proprietor Jenna Juredine discussed the closing, and decided that the 30th anniversary milestone was the most appropriate time to celebrate the life of a music venue that is known for giving many musicians their first performing experience.

Bruce and Jenna’s father, Martin Juredine, opened the doors to the Barking Spider Tavern on September 19, 1986 in an old carriage house on the campus of Case Western Reserve University. It quickly became a mecca for local musicians, artists, and free thinkers. Martin got rid of the jukebox and began having local musicians come in and play a couple of times a week, soon to become multiple acts seven days a week. Poetry readings, potlucks, weddings and receptions have all created the community atmosphere that makes “The Spider” so comfortable and loved.

Martin passed away February 1, 2011 after losing a battle to cancer. His youngest daughter Jenna stepped in to keep the doors open. “I couldn’t let the Spider go. I grew up in these walls, with these musicians, customers and co-workers. I had just lost my dad and it was a thread, keeping the connection to my father for all of us.”

Newly married with a baby due in November, Jenna has entered a new phase in life, with a renewed focus and priority on her family. “The tavern takes a certain lifestyle to maintain, and I am no longer able to dedicate the amount of time needed to keep it going.”

Bruce and Jenna decided that it would be best to end on a high note, an annual anniversary celebration with friends, great local musicians, beer and a potluck. “We have an amazing group of employees that have worked here for years, some since the very beginning. My father created a safe house for music lovers and musicians and everyone has been so supportive.” Jenna says, “We are a huge family and that is hard to come by in any business. It’s been an honor to be a part of such an important part of the music scene in Cleveland.”

Jenna realizes the weight of this bittersweet moment. “I love the Barking Spider Tavern in such a deep personal way that it will be difficult not to walk through these doors everyday, but I know, in my heart, my father is proud of what I have done and what I’m about to do. In the words of my father, Martin Juredine, “We’re lucky guys!!!”

“Thank you friends. Thank you CWRU and University Circle. Thank you Cleveland.”

Bruce Madorsky & Jenna Juredine

Categories: Barking Spider News

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share on RedditDigg thisEmail this to someone
20 Comments »
  1. My heart is broken. My friends and I listened to many a night’s worth of great music there starting in my undergrad years in the late 80s. By the time I moved away Martin and the crew were good personal friends. It’s the end of a beautiful era.

Comment by Michael Dale September 15, 2016 @11:55 am

2. This is so sad! It’s such a unique, one-of-a-kind place. Are there no other alternatives to keep it open? Will be sad to see it go…

Comment by Noam Schafer — Twitter: — September 15, 2016 @12:18 pm

3. Such sad news. I will miss the Spider but have many wonderful memories there. I wish Jenna and Bruce the best of luck in future endeavors. Thanks for the wonderful times!

Comment by Karin Rice September 15, 2016 @2:35 pm

4. *sigh* just . . . *sigh*

Comment by Tim Damon September 15, 2016 @3:50 pm

5. Wow! I am blown away. Jenna – you and your dad have always been so kind to me and I am so very grateful for your support over the years – really! It has meant so much. Congratulations on the marriage and the baby coming. I understand that raising kids requires hard decisions. Just know that you have been wonderful for musicians like me and kept our morale up. Thank you for everything! Elliott

Comment by Elliott Ingersoll September 15, 2016 @4:16 pm

6. This a very sad day. The Spider is irreplacable. It gave so many of us the chance to play, in a room where listening ruled. Loud talkers were asked to quiet down or move. It was Cleveland’s best music venue and a local legend. Jenna, I know this is the right decision for you. Family life doesn’t exactly sync with the nightlife. You’ve been wonderful in carrying on your father’s dream. I don’t want to admit it, but everything must end. Thanks to you and Bruce!!

Comment by Francis Chiappa September 15, 2016 @8:01 pm

7. I am stunned, I can’t imagine my life without the Barking Spider. So many memories over the years and so many musicians and music that we all love, being together in that environment. Wow.
    I know hints are always changing and flowing in all directions. I am thankful for our time together.

Comment by Linda September 15, 2016 @9:48 pm

8. Well…here we are now, but we cannot thank you enough for the ride, the nights, the beautiful vibes and all of the wonderful music. You have done this city proud…We so appreciate the times we have had there…we send all of you our love and thanks for the grace, that is and was The Barking Spider Tavern…fin’

Comment by Mary Martin & The Tuna Band September 15, 2016 @9:59 pm

9. Words cannot express how profoundly this news has impacted me. I was a regular at the Spider during the several years I lived in Cleveland both as a student at CWRU and during my early career. It has been over twenty years since I left Ohio but each time I visit I always plan an evening at the Spider to reconnect with old friends and, during those visits, inevitably make some new friends along the way. The Spider has always been a place of comfort and acceptance in a way that homes and family are supposed to be but often fall short. Many of my favorite times and experiences in my life have occurred there. The place is woven into the fabric of who I am. Thank you, Martin, for creating such a magical and safe place and thank you, Jenna,for keeping it alive for as long as you have been able.

Comment by Will Gelm September 16, 2016 @6:40 pm

10. The Spider was my home away from home. I’ve met so many good friends there over the years. Rob Bliss and I opened and closed the bar 3 days straight during Hessler Street Fair while our wives, The Soapsisters, sold their wares at the fair. I loved all the diversity the bar offered; people, music, poetry, art. I always enjoyed playing with my band there. Martin convinced me to play solo as well. What a long strange trip it’s been. I will miss this place and all who I have met there over the years. I wish you the best Jenna and Brent in the next chapter of your lives together.

Comment by John Hansen September 17, 2016 @12:47 am

11. This is a very sad day for Cleveland. The Spider is a great and very unique bar and live music venue. There is no other bar like it in Cleveland or anywhere else that I’ve travelled to. Martin was a fantastic person and has been missed, but Jenna has been doing a fantastic job. I have listened to great music and discussed everything from science to religion to politics with complete strangers there. I stopped in tonight and it was a bit sombre, but everyone was reminiscing about all their great memories. I will be back Sunday for one last time and will have a deep void inside me with the loss of this institution. The Spider had a fantastic 30 year run and Cleveland should very thankful.

Comment by Dave Polak September 17, 2016 @4:20 pm

12. After hearing this news earlier this week, I decided to stop by on my way home from two tour dates in Michigan and say good bye to the Spider. It was in the 10 am hour this morning, so I took a few photos, peeked through the window towards where the performers play, went back to my car and a flood of great memories ran through my head as a few tears welled up.

Thank you to Martin for providing such a wonderful venue, for giving me one of my first opportunities to perform outside of my hometown of Buffalo, NY, for being open minded enough to provide opportunity to so many touring and local musicians,songwriters, and poets, and to Jenna for carry the torch for 5 more years.

I am honored to have been invited to perform at the Spider a few times a year for the past decade, and to be a small part of the rich history of great performers who have graced the floor of that unique venue.

All the best….
    Davey O.

Comment by Davey O. September 17, 2016 @4:39 pm

13. There are few, if any, words that can express how I feel right now. I feel I’ve become a part of “the Spider Family.” So let it be a simple, but heartfelt THANK YOU, for the music, the camaraderie, the peace, and the love you’ve all shown me for the last 21 years. The Barking Spider has been my island of sanity in a sea of madness and my refuge. There will be a hollow spot, but it will be tempered by fond memories.

Comment by Hugh Marshall September 18, 2016 @10:41 am

14. So sad to hear the Spider is closing. I was hoping to launch my singing career there after retirement! 😉 I wish now I had spent much more time listening to music at this wonderful, priceless Cleveland spot. Best wishes!

Comment by Peggy Fitzgerald September 18, 2016 @12:15 pm

15. I am so sorry i was out of town and missed the final night. Good luck Jenna and my friends. Michael Ryan hippie cop

Comment by Michael P Ryan September 18, 2016 @9:23 pm

16. A lift of the leg and a loud toot salute for the Barking Spider Tavern! Many fond memories and good times, from one of the frequently-visiting yet anonymous patrons who felt the family vibe. So few taverns to bring our beloved dog to, it was always special to be welcome here.

Best wishes for you, Jenna!

Comment by Denny W. September 19, 2016 @4:09 pm

17. Photos from the 30th Anniversary party for those interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_polak/sets/72157672970549031

Comment by Dave Polak September 20, 2016 @5:04 pm

18. A great venue for musicians! It was always more fun playing at the Spider for the tip jar to an audience who came to listen, than it was playing at a high paying gig as background music!
    The second time I ever came to the Barking Spider was quite some time after my very first visit and Martin remembered my name. I’ve heard others say the same thing. He really loved the music. Jenna has done a great job running the show the way Martin would have wanted!
    But now as George Harrison said “All Things Must Pass”.
    As a very wise friend once told me;
    “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile, because it happened”
    Thank you Martin! Thank you Jenna!
    Rick Sockel

Comment by Rick Sockel September 25, 2016 @2:33 pm

19. I just found out about the Spider closing just as I was getting ready to call Jenna about booking shows for 2017.
    I was in Kansas at the Walnut Valley Fest on the 15th and just had no idea at all that the Spider would be closing.
    It’s really hard for me to express what Martin, Jenna and all the staff and regular patrons there meant to me. So many magical quiet nights on Mondays and Tuesdays with every note I played crystal clear and vibrating through us all and bouncing off the walls and the wonderful eclectic art adding to the magic.
    Jenna, the very best to you and your growing family and to everyone else who’s made the Spider the magical place it will always be in my heart…Thank you so very much,

Brian

Comment by Brian Henke October 4, 2016 @10:19 am

20. A sincere thank you to Jenna, Martin, and everyone associated with the Barking Spider over the years, from those pouring the beer to the musicians and to the patrons, to all contributed to an atmosphere truly unique. Sad to see close, but for the right reasons – best of luck to you Jenna as you start your new chapter, and one more time, thanks. –jim and jenny meil

Comment by Jim Meil October 22, 2016 @9:38 am